TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Star Shield Concierge Plan Warranty Contract (April 2017)
1. HOW CONSUMER RIGHTS AFFECT THIS PLAN
The benefits conferred by this plan are in addition to all rights and remedies provided under the Consumer Protection Laws and Regulations. This plan shall not prejudice the rights granted by applicable consumer law, including the right to receive remedies under statutory warranty law and to seek damages in the event of the non-performance by Star Shield of any of its contractual obligations.
2. THE PLAN
This service contract governs the hardware and software service and technical support provided to You by Star Shield under the above mentioned plan (each referred to herein as the “Plan”) for Lenovo Notebooks, as listed on Your proof of coverage document.
In this Contract, the following words have the following meanings:
(i) “We”, “Us”, ‘Our” refer to the Star Shield authorised retailer
(ii) “You”, “Your” refer to the purchaser of the Star Shield warranty plans
(iii) “Equipment” refers to the product covered by the Plan
(iv) “Warranty”, “Plan” refer to Star Shield Concierge warranty plan
(v) “On site” refers to Singapore main land
(vi) “Repair Value” refers to the cost of the labour and parts of the repair carried out
(vii) “Plan Term” refers to the period when the plan is still active
4.1 BASIC COVERAGE
- Star Shield Concierge Plan provides the coverage for the repair or replacement of the Equipment listed on the sales invoice for electrical, electronic or mechanical breakdown or defect only. The Warranty coverage shall be in accordance with the Manufacturer’s Warranty coverage of the Equipment including any exclusion therein provided. Any Excess Fees not covered in the warranty coverage will be paid by You.
- The period of the Warranty coverage will commence immediately after the expiry of the Manufacturer’s Warranty. The period of warranty coverage for all devices will be up to a maximum of four (4) years. Your Plan Confirmation will be provided to You at or about the time of purchase or sent to You automatically thereafter. The terms of this Plan, the original sales receipt for Your Plan and the Plan Confirmation are each part of Your service contract. You can find the price of the Plan on the original sales receipt. Coverage under this Plan is additional to the coverage provided under applicable mandatory laws, the manufacturer’s hardware warranty and complementary technical support.
- The Warranty coverage for repairs includes the cost of labour and parts. On-site service support are excluded, and will be paid by You.
4.2 ADDITIONAL COVERAGE
The Warranty coverage shall be in accordance with the Manufacturer’s warranty coverage of the Equipment including any exclusion therein provided. The Warranty coverage is inclusive of the Basic Coverage along with an additional benefit, which commences immediately upon purchase, including:
- One-to-One Equipment exchange
- In the event that the Equipment is deemed beyond economic repair (such decision to be final), we will compensate Plan holders with either (1) an equivalent replacement model where the value will not exceed the original purchase price or the claim balance (whichever is lower) of the Equipment OR (2) a refurbished model and the replaced Equipment or parts becomes our property. Upon acceptance of replacement, the extended warranty shall duly be expired or lapsed.
- Under no circumstance shall we be obliged to make any cash payment or vouchers as a replacement.
4.3 ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE PROTECTION (ADP)
The Warranty coverage shall be in accordance with the Manufacturer’s warranty coverage of the Equipment including any exclusion therein provided. This Warranty is inclusive of the Basic Coverage and Additional Coverage along with these additional benefits, all of which commences immediately upon purchase date of the product, including:
- Fire, Theft from Home (with break-in), or Flood Replacement
- Battery Replacement
- Cracked Screen Replacement
- Hard disk Back-up
- Comprehensive Diagnostic Service during Manufacturer Warranty Period
i. Fire, Theft from Home (with break-in), Flood (including damage caused by landslide as a result of tempest and rainstorm) affecting the Product(s) (“Fire, Theft from Home with break-in and Flood”)
a. This Warranty includes a one-time Fire, Theft from Home (with break-in), or Flood Replacement which is claimable at any point of time within Warranty period.
b. In the event of Fire or Flood, if it is determinable by Star Shield that the Product(s) can be repaired. Star Shield shall arrange for the repair of the Product(s), provided that the Excess difference between the costs of the repair and the Original Devices’ purchased price is borne by the Warranty Holder if the costs of the repair exceeds the relevant amount.
c. In the event of Fire, Theft from Home (with break-in) and Flood [and the damage (if applicable) is such that it is determined by Star Shield that the Product(s) cannot be repaired (such determination to be final) Star Shield shall compensate the Warranty Holder with a replacement unit of and the value of which shall not exceed the Original Devices’ purchased price.
d. In the event of Fire, Theft from Home (with break-in) and Flood, the Warranty Holder must make a police report within seven (7) days of the occurrence of the event. (A claim will not be accepted if there is delay in making the police report or if the person making the police report is not the Warranty Holder.)
e. Once the Warranty Holder is compensated by Star Shield under Clause 4.3.i, the Product (s) or any part thereof, if recoverable, shall belong to Star Shield and the Warranty will expire or lapse.
f. The references to “Home” in the Warranty refers to the residence of the Warranty Holder.
ii. Battery Replacement
a. Battery Replacement can only be claimed ONCE during the first year of Manufacturer’s Warranty Contract Term. Battery Failure that occurs after the first year of Manufacturer’s Warranty Contract Term will not be liable for a replacement.
b. Battery Replacement can only be claimed if the maximum capacity battery of Your Equipment falls to or below eighty (80) percent of the original maximum capacity.
c. Battery Replacement is only applicable for Notebooks.
iii. Cracked Screen Replacement
a. Cracked Screen Replacement can only be claimed ONCE during the Extended Warranty Contract Term.
b. This plan covers damage to integrated LCD screen due to unintentional breakage, drops, falls or other collisions.
c. Cracked Screen Replacement is only applicable for Notebooks, Smartphones, Tablet and Fitness Trackers.
4.5 MAKING CLAIMS
If the Equipment is under the Manufacturer’s Warranty Period, please contact the Manufacturer or their Authorised repairer directly. If the Manufacturer’s Warranty Period for the Equipment has expired, and the Warranty is still in effect, please call Star Shield Warranty Hotline: 6586 7788 during office hours, Mondays to Saturdays, 11:00am-7:00pm (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and PH) or email to email@example.com for repair authorisation. Alternatively, You can visit Star Shield Service Hub at 89 Science Park Drive #01-10 The Rutherford Lobby C Singapore 118261 to submit a claim and leave Your device. You must provide Your product serial number and a copy of Your Plan’s original proof of purchase, if requested. Repairs without prior authorisation from us will not be covered.
All Equipment failures must be notified to us within thirty (30) days otherwise they will not be covered.
Customers are advised to consult their manufacturer’s instructions to determine if the failure to operate is due to uncontrollable circumstances otherwise a service and diagnostic fee may still be imposed even though the repair is not proceeded with. In such circumstances, the breakdown is not covered under Warranty and the cost of repairs will be charged accordingly.
4.6 COVERAGE VALUE
The accumulated Repair Value shall not exceed a hundred (100) percent (maximum) of the value of product purchase price paid by the customer while it is still in force. Upon which, the coverage will cease and the Contract will expire or lapse.
5. SCOPE OF WARRANTY
The Warranty is only applicable if all the following conditions are met:
(i) The registered Equipment is used in Singapore and for personal use only unless Corporate Coverage upgrade is purchased.
(ii) The Equipment comes with its respective Manufacturer’s Warranty minimum of twelve (12) months.
(iii) The Equipment can be repaired in Singapore (mainland only).
(v) We reserve the right to vary or modify the terms and conditions of the Warranty any time without prior notice.
a) Damage of loss caused by events that occur outside Singapore.
b) Damage or loss caused by willfully or recklessly including but not limited to the purposeful act of submerging product(s) into water.
c) Damage or loss caused by willfully or recklessly including but not limited to the purposeful act of over-running, broken into half or pieces.
d) Damage or loss caused by fraud and the execution of legal rights by the authorities of Singapore.
e) Equipment still covered by the Manufacturer’s original written warranty, our original written warranty, repairers’ warranty, or any other warranty in effect.
f) Any defects that are subject to manufacturer’s recall.
g) Any normal wear and tear of the Equipment which includes but is not limited to: switches, latches, hinges, rollers, print heads, drums, lamps, film, ink cartridges, toner, rubber, waterproofing & sealing material, ports (all types), dead pixel / spots on screens, burnt parts, cracked parts, broken parts.
h) Cosmetic, physical damage such as damage to paintwork or dents or scratches or crack to the Equipment including internally and externally.
i) Repairs done outside Singapore, unless we agree otherwise in writing.
j) Unauthorised modifications or add on option made to the Equipment, failure to follow manufacturer’s installation, operation or maintenance instructions; Repairs performed by any non-authorised repairer. Usage of non-manufacturer/original accessories that cause Equipment damage.
k) Damage or loss caused by computer viruses or caused by wrongfully uploading or downloading files, applications or installing computer software.
l) Any external devices and accessories which includes but is not limited to: power adaptor, power charger, power cord, cables, wires, external keyboard and mouse, remote control and all types of batteries (including re-chargeable).
m) Damage or loss caused by which includes but not limited to spilled liquids, corrosion, battery/acid leakage, animal and insect infestation, misuse, neglect and abuse, fungi, dust, rust, fog, mist and moisture.
n) External faults such as wiring or electrical connection and consequential loss of any kind.
o) Equipment that have been diagnosed as not defective may be levied a service charge.
p) Equipment used for commercial use, profit or communal use for multi-family housing.
q) All Software issues.
r) External faults such as wiring or electrical connection and consequential loss of any kind such as short-circuiting, overheating and explosion.
s) Any forms of liquid damage except flood
t) Any loss or damage to the Equipment resulting from an act of God (including but not limited to, events such as earthquake, tsunami, war, invasion, act of foreign enemy, warlike operations, civil war).
u) Equipment given to You as free gifts during sales or promotion.
v) Equipment with removed or altered serial numbers. You shall furnish to us the new serial number of the Equipment replaced under the Manufacturer’s warranty within 30 days, failing which this Warranty is excluded.
7. YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
To receive service or support under the Plan, You agree to comply with each of the terms listed below.
(i) Provide Your product serial number and a copy of Your Plan’s original proof of purchase, if requested.
(ii) Provide relevant and truthful information about the symptoms and causes of the issues with the Covered Equipment.
(iii) Respond to requests for information, including but not limited to the (a) Covered Equipment serial number; or (b) model; or (c) version of the operating system and software installed; or (d) any peripherals devices connected or installed on the Covered Equipment; or (e) any error messages displayed; or (f) the actions which were taken before the Covered Equipment experienced the issue and the steps taken to resolve the issue.
(iv) Proceed with instructions that Star Shield gives You, including but not limited to refraining from sending products and accessories that are not subject to repair or replacement service.
(v) Backup software and data residing on the Covered Equipment. The contents and software of the covered Equipment may be lost or re-formatted during service. Star Shield will not be responsible for any damage to or loss of any programs, data, or other information stored on any media or any part of any Product serviced. Star Shield will return Your Covered Equipment or provide a replacement as the Covered Equipment was originally configured, subject to applicable updates. Star Shield may install OS updates as part of hardware service that will prevent the Covered Equipment from reverting to an earlier version of the said OS. Third party applications installed on the Covered Equipment may not be compatible or work with the Covered Equipment as a result of the OS update. You will be responsible for reinstalling all other software programs, data and passwords.
8. OUR OBLIGATION
Our sole obligations are, subject to the exclusions and limitations, to repair the Equipment with refurbished, used or third party parts (any brands / models) or to compensate the customer in mode of replacement of equivalent model (depending on the Plan) whichever is applicable subject to an accumulated Repair Value limited up to the value of the Equipment in the invoice from each repair undertaken by us.
We at our own discretion will authorise a third party to repair or diagnose the Equipment if deemed necessary.
9. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Star Shield and its employees and agents will under no circumstances be liable to You or any subsequent owner of the covered Equipment for any indirect or consequential damages, including but not limited to costs of recovering, reprogramming, or reproducing any program or data or the failure to maintain the confidentiality of data, any loss of business, profits, revenue or anticipated savings, resulting from Star Shield’s obligations under this plan. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, the limit of Star Shield and its employees and agent’s and liability to You and any subsequent owner arising under the plan shall not exceed the total Repair Value for the Plan of your Covered Equipment. Star Shield specifically does not warrant that (i) it will be able to repair or replace covered Equipment without risk to or loss of programs or data, (ii) it will maintain the confidentiality of data, or (iii) that the operation of the product will be uninterrupted or error-free.
This Warranty is not an insurance policy but providing for repairs for covered breakdowns and defects.
10. TERMINATION OF PLAN
- The Contract will terminate if any of the following events occur, including but not limited to:
- Expiration of the Plan; or
- When the accumulated Repair Value has undertaken by us has reached the maximum; or
- When the Product registered for the Contract is lost or stolen due to causes excluded by the warranty; or
- Discovery of fraud or misrepresentation; or
- When this agreement is found to go against the local law; or
- When there is a violation of the terms and conditions of the Plan and the Manufacturer’s Warranty; or
- Discovery of the wrong purchased Plan during claim; or
- Disposal, subsequent sale or repossession of the registered Equipment
- 1-to 1 replacement or exchange of the registered equipment is provided (if deemed as beyond economic repair).
Note: Expiration of the Plan will take place after the last day of coverage under the terms of the purchased Plan.
12. GENERAL TERMS
- Together with the Warranty certificate and invoice from us, these will form the entire agreement between You of this Warranty and us and no other oral or written representations are valid.
- All Terms and Conditions are subject to change without notice at our sole discretion. Contact us to find out more about the latest terms and conditions.
- In carrying out its obligations, Star Shield may, at its discretion and solely for the purposes of monitoring the quality of Star Shield’s response, record part or all of the calls between You and Star Shield.
- Star Shield may subcontract or assign performance of its obligations to third parties but shall not be relieved of its obligations to You in doing so.
- Star Shield is not responsible for any failures or delays in performing under the Plan that are due to events outside Star Shield’s reasonable control.
- Star Shield has security measures, which should protect Your data against unauthorised access or disclosure as well as unlawful destruction. You will be responsible for the instructions You give to Star Shield regarding the processing of data, and Star Shield will seek to comply with those instructions as reasonably necessary for the performance of the service and support obligations under the Plan.
- There is no informal dispute settlement process available under this Plan.
- For Plans sold in Singapore, “Star Shield” is the entity listed in “Country and Jurisdiction Variations” below and the legal and financial obligor for Plans sold in Singapore is the entity listed in Section 15 below.
- The terms of the Plan, including the original sales receipt of the Plan and the Plan Confirmation, shall prevail over any conflicting, additional, or other terms of any purchase order, documentations or word of mouth, and constitute Your and Star Shield’s entire understanding with respect to the Plan.
- Star Shield is not obligated to renew this Plan.
- There is a service charge of $80 for all Star Shield Extended Warranty Repair and Replacement.
13. PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION
Allow us to serve you better;
- Allow us to serve you better;
- Enable your use of the services available on Star Shield website;
- Send you general (non-marketing) communications via e-mail;
- Facilitate our operations process;
- Verify your particulars for any warranty claims;
- Inform you about our repair services;
- Perform on-site collection and return of covered equipment;
- Conduct investigations related to fraud or falsifying of information;
- Obtain information for marketing purposes, including (but not limited to) offers, promotions and information about new goods and services via the following channels: e-mail, text message or telephone call; and
- Any other purposes directly related to the above.
Star Shield will ensure that we only send you messages that we think will be of interest to you. For instance; the details of special offers and information about new products and services.
14. COUNTRY AND JURISDICTION VARIATIONS
Singapore: Parties to Contract – Star Shield of 89 Science Park Drive #01-10, The Rutherford Lobby C, Singapore 118261 for all the services and purposes as mentioned above in the terms and conditions. This plan is offered and valid only in Singapore. The laws of the Republic of Singapore govern this Plan.
15. CONTACT US
89 Science Park Drive #01-10
The Rutherford Lobby C
SERVICE CENTRE OPENING HOURS:
11.00am – 7.00pm Mondays to Saturdays (Closed on Public Holidays)